我的哲學之道

我的哲學之道

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

......

I am glad to be sitting here in front of the computer, typing and sipping Choya at the same time.

I met up with 2 of my ex-colleagues for the first time since I left the job. We had earlier arranged to meet at Holland Village for dinner as it was the most convenient place for them.

It's been years since I last went to Holland V. I did not even go there once during my one year stay in my previous job. Today was a little "new" experience" for me. Wow, I realized that many people do not go home after work and I am beginning to understand what "happy hour" means. Haha!

As we dined at Olio, I listened to them updating me on some of the happenings and the situation at work. I wouldn't say they were complaining as they were rather calm and nonchalant about most of the events. However, I could sense their exhaustion. Many times during the course of the conversation, the word "tired" was heard. It was also evident from their face.

I can empathize with that. I really can. Although I am no longer in the system, I can fully understand how they feel, both physically and emotionally. It's really more than just feeling tired. It's exhaustion.

I tried to "comfort" them by saying that they are near the half-way mark and they should look forward to the one month (theoretically) break that is coming soon. I know this is crap. We all know. Even if we have crossed the half-way mark, there is still a remaining half to go. And then there is next year, the year after and the year after the year after ......

As I empathize with them and my many friends out there who are in the same "profession", I can't help but feel glad. I am so glad that I have chosen to leave the system. I do not think that I can put up with this kind of life anymore. While I sometimes wish that I could treat that job solely as a means of livelihood and stop at that, I have to disappoint myself and admit that I can't. That is perhaps why I chose to leave. I had to so that I would be happier. It might not be the right decision or the best solution but I do not regret having made that move. I have never felt more peaceful and at ease with myself (although there are occasions of anxiety and stress).

To all my friends out there who are still fighting this battle, I salute you and may the "force" be with you. "Force" here means strength and energy to carry on but more importantly, I hope it encompasses the ability to be happy. :)

2 comments:

ah bao said...

I'm struggling...how?

scgoh said...

Another 4 months and you'll be going on maternity leave. That would be a good break from work. Cheer up! :)

As for the long run, you have to ask yourself what you really want. Keep asking and one day you will have the answer. :)