我的哲學之道

我的哲學之道

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Japanese Homestyle Cooking

After reading about the Okinawa diet 6 years ago and finishing this book a few days ago, I decided to turn my kitchen into a "mini-Japanese" kitchen.



To kick-start the project, I bought some Japanese kitchenware and cooking ingredients. I managed to find daikon, dashi stock, mirin, sake, bonito flakes and hijiki at Cold Storage and used them to prepare last night's dinner. I also bought 3 mini cookbooks from Kinokuniya. This is one of the 3 books.


(I bought the mini version of this)

After an hour plus of battle in the kitchen, dinner was ready and the kitchen was in a total mess. For the first time in history, I ignored my "one-pot" policy. Looking at the amount of pots and dishes that I have to wash, I concluded that this cooking style is definitely NOT in-line with my "one-pot" policy. I need to improvise and think of ways to reduce the amount of hassle. One obvious suggestion would be to serve the food in the pot that it was cooked in.

Presenting to you, my 爱心晚餐!



Minced pork with egg beancurd (other than the use of Japanese seasoning, the rest of the ingredients were very chinese)


Miso Cod


Rice with Bonito flakes


Daikon (raddish) simmered in dashi stock


Japanese green tea (with compliments from Fancl)


Overall, I think I added too much seasoning. This shall be my AFI. Oh yes, I need to add more "greens" too.

So when is my second attempt? We shall see. Hahahaha!

2 comments:

kOi said...

Wow! looks very "Japanese" , must arrange the next gathering at your place to try your new style of cooking. :)

scgoh said...

Haha, "looks" japanese only, the taste is so-so. Cooking for small group should be ok but I don't have the confidence to cook for big group. I need more practise. :)