My colleagues and I went to a "far away" place for lunch today. It's about 15 minutes walk from our office.
The 2 of them went to buy food while I sat down to "chop" the table. Soon, a man (probably in his 40s) came and put his bag in one of the empty chairs. Politely, I told him, "Sorry, the seat is taken." There was no response. I tried again, this time in Mandarin. It seemed to work. He walked off with his bag.
Shortly after, the stranger came back with a cup of tea in his hand. Swiftly, he sat in the chair directly opposite me! I was stunned. I told him many times that the seat has been taken but he just stared blankly into space. I got quite angry and could sense myself raising my voice. Apparently, nothing worked. I gave up! I asked the ladies sitting at the next table if the empty chair was occupied. Luckily it was not and I immediately pulled it over to our table. Guess what I saw this time? The stranger was holding the styrofoam cup, filled with black tea, in his hand and he kept STARING at it!!!!!! There was a blank look in his eyes and I was a little frightened. He stared at the cup of tea for at least 2 minutes and then left without drinking it. I looked at the cup in shock and disbelief!
My colleagues finally returned with their food. I told them about the stranger and his strange acts. I decided not to remove the cup of tea yet, in case he suddenly came back. I was wrong. He never showed up, not when we were still having lunch.
What a strange encounter! I wonder if the stranger is sound? ......
PS: I don't know why we have to respect the "use tissue paper to 'chop' seats culture"? Why are we expected to understand that it means the seats are "reserved"? I am so tempted to just throw the packets of tissue paper away! I'm so mean!
No comments:
Post a Comment