We started the day early today. Met up with the guide at 5 am to catch the sunrise at Angkor Wat. This is one of the "must-dos" so many people were already waiting at the pond area when we reached there.
It was nice but not what I imagined it to be. I was expecting a red egg yolk rising behind the temples. We did not see any yolk but the colour of the clouds changed as the sun rose. Still pretty.
We stayed back to explore the temple while majority of the tourists return to their hotels to catch up on their sleep or have breakfast. Angkor Wat was quiet and peaceful and we enjoyed having it to ourselves most of the time or sharing with some fellow tourists. The climb up to the top was easier and less dangerous with the new staircase. We could no longer use the stone steps which are really steep. Blessing in disguise? Maybe.
We returned to the hotel for breakfast at 9 am and took a long, good rest in the room. For the first time, I took a nap while on holiday!
Met up with the guide in the afternoon for Banteay Srei and Banteay Samre. They are much smaller in size but very nice. We had Banteay Samre to ourselves. It's a gem often missed out by people due to their tight schedule. I am glad we had time for it.
Dinner was taken at Khmer kitchen restaurant. We ordered amok fish, cashew nuts with chicken and baked sweet potato with chicken. As usual, we over ordered again.
It started pouring when we were about to finish dinner. We had sat for a long while before hopping onto a tuk-tuk to go back to hotel. We redeemed our cocktail at the lotus bar and went back to our room.
This is so far the most relaxing trip we had, with lots of free time and ample sleep. Haha!
Tomorrow we are going to Angkor Thom and Ta Phrom. Am looking forward to it! Oh yes, we need to decide on the place to see sunset. Should we go to the less crowded or nicer one? We have one night to decide.
3 comments:
I like this idea of writing down your trip experience each day during the trip. I always want to do this but no time to do it when back home. iPad is really good.
I like trips with ample rests n naps too. Maybe is sign of getting older. Hahaha
Yes, I think it's a sign of aging. Haha!
Only able to blog because we end the day early for this trip. Usually we would still be out shopping at those hours when we were in other countries like Japan and Taiwan. Free wi-fi helps too!
Actually my last Hk trip in dec last yr, I went back to hotel room in afternoon to take naps too. Then after nap, go mongkok area for dinner n late night window whippings n dessert for supper.
I'm getting old hahaha
Post a Comment